On 08/04/2016 02:57 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 15:16:03 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 14:00:01 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
>> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

>>> "that are easily downloadable and usable without special accounts".
>>> someone has to set up a server, run it, need accounts, etc. is it a
>>> tool readily usable out of the box that people actually will need/use
>>> regularly. a secondlife or quivalent is not. a terminal is. a wm is.
>>> a web browser is. ... if someone has to set up a server themselves or
>>> register accounts somewhere else at all you just failed the "useful
>>> to anyone" :)
>>
>> If you read SledjHamr.org, you'll see I have taken all of that into
>> account.  Now you are just making up excuses to ignore me.
>
> count the number of people here participating in any virtual world. they use
> terminals. email clients. wm's. the number of people involved in virtual
> worlds
> who would even look is small at best. perhaps you don't like it, but i'm
> trying
> to tell you that the reason no one is paying attention is you do not have
> something they want. maybe others do, but no one here working on efl or e or
> core users etc. is. or almost no one. if they were, then you wouldnt be a
> periphery thing. i am not saying your work is bad or its stupid or anything.
> i'm saying that expecting relevance is dependent on things being relevant to
> others. if efl breaks terminology then that break becomes relevant because
> LOTs
> of people use it here and even elsewhere. but especially here. if evas_3d was
> being used in e for eg 3d cube desktop switching effects... it'd be relevant
> a whole lot of people immediately.
>
> i'm not even going to look at those projects because the premise of them as a
> virtual world is not interesting or relevant to me. it is to you and that's
> great. not to me. and if you go around wondering why they are not paying
> attention then this is the primary reason. you have to have things in common
> that make the things you want be relevant. :) i'm trying to help you here by
> pointing out that to help the project you care about, you may have to do other
> side projects that have relevance to others to bring that to the fore. :)

A gadget to display models of parts of virtual worlds inside E would be
pretty interesting maybe.

--

Simon Lees (Simotek)                            http://simotek.net

Emergency Update Team                           keybase.io/simotek
SUSE Linux                            Adeliade Australia, UTC+9:30