On 03/30/13 10:52, Cedric BAIL wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 5:45 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> >> unfortunately no, but they should
> >
> > I hope that's a joke.
> >
> > I do not use systemd and have no interest in doing so.
>
> You seriously should.
>
> > May I point out that e17 is a window manager/desktop shell, not
> > something else? I don't like it when WM authors do silly things like try
> > to dictate what basic system software I should use. Just sayin'
>
> Enlightenment does currently have a less than good daemon named
> enlightenment_start, that doesn't even do 10% of what systemd user
> session provide. I know that, I am the one who wrote it. I have no
> interest into copying the feature and redeveloping them just for the
> sake of not relying on some piece of software that your religion
> forbid you to use. I do have an interest on improving Enlightenment,
> but I don't have one into reinventing another unnecessary wheel.
>    Systemd is clearly providing a technical improvement to the current
> state of affair. It improve our reliability, our security and our
> performance. As a superior piece of technology, not taking benefit of
> it, is just silly ! But because silly distribution do exist, we will
> continue to provide a working solution for them. Here the important
> term is "working". You will just not have the best possible
> environment.
>    I do believe that Enlightenment is driven by choosing the best
> possible technical solution to provide the best possible experience on
> your hardware. Not by religious belief and I am not going to limit the
> capability of Enlightenment for those silly belief, but you can limit
> yourself if you want.

There are some technical reasons for not using systemd. One of them: bugs
http://bugs.freedesktop.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&product=systemd

And some of the bugs require changes in the linux kernel the systemd
devs asked for and are still waiting for. Not sure it's going to happend
anytime soon. That's a weird design issue.

On the other end, my traditional BSD init system worked flawlessly for
the last 15 years. That's not a religious belief, that's a fact :-)

I really hope that systemd will remain optional for E in the future. E16
worked everywhere, E17 works everywhere. If E18 happens to work only on
the systemd distro, it will be a step back and the project will lose
audience..

--
Jérôme Pinot
http://ngc891.blogdns.net/