>> Julian Loke wrote:
>> ... ignoring "bright segments" or "dark segments"? ...

> "Hugo Gävert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: ...
> The EOS-3 Technical Overview also tells something about the evaluative
> metering...
> ... in the text they write: "The camera automatically corrects exposure to
> achieve the optimum setting by processing comparative data on readings
> taken for the primary, secondary and peripheral metering zones." So it
> seems that it is not just center weighted-like metering that is weighted
> on the active AF point.

Hi Hugo, Thomas, and List,

Could the quote also be describing a comparative weighting system
(e.g. 60% primary, 30% secondary, 10% peripheral)?
And could a simple a weighting system e.g. 70/20/10/0% still be
consistent with Canon's own explanation of Evaluative metering?

As a example, a specular highlight could cause a SINGLE segment
to be 3 stops brighter than all the other segments. It should
"intelligently" be ignored.

So, if a right-sided AF sensor was used, would a single specular
highlight on the left be ignored.

But this would also occur in a simple weighting system, just
because the left side is "peripheral" and receives 0% weight.

So what would happen if a single specular highlight fell on the
right?

Should it be "intelligently" ignored?
Or will it contribute a fixed weighting (e.g. 20%) to metering?

Cheers
Julian Loke
P.S. I am having trouble understanding Philip Chong's article
"Using the Evaluative metering of your 35mm EOS cameras"
http://www.camera.canon.com.my/photography/art/art14/02.htm
Can anyone explain to me the point of his article?