> "Hugo Gävert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It _could_ give quite simiral results. But I think the main thing
> is that the exposure is adjusted "by processing comparative data".
> That's clearly not describing just a simple weighted system. I
> think that quite clearly says that it's comparing the scene to
> something in memory. It does include note that there are differently
> weighted areas, and doesn't give full explanation so it might still
> include the exclusion of very bright small highlights is scene
> (as done in E-TTL apparently - I've also taken images with sun
> directly in frame without large problems...)

Hi Hugo,

I interpreted "comparative" as meaning "comparing across different
zones", or using an electronic "comparator" (subtraction) circuit.
Which would be consistent with a weighting system.

The sun-in-frame situation can be handled very well by Centre-
weighted averaging, especially if a very wide angle lens is used.
In fact, when I shoot with a circular fisheye, the preferred metering
pattern is CWM, which appears more accurate than "matrix" or spot
metering.

Cheers
Julian Loke