I am really anxious to see some in-depth tests on the new 1Ds Mk. 3. A thought comes to mind. Are more and more pixels really a good thing on the same size sensor? The point and shoot cameras have horrible noise at high ISO due to cramming too many pixels on the tiny sensors. The general public thinks the bigger the MP number, the "better" the camera, but we know that is not the case. The 1Ds started life with a 35mm sized sensor with 11.3 MP. Then it went to 16 MP, and now 21.1 MP ... all on the same size sensor. Will it reach a point that quality begins to diminish because the sensor is being "stuffed" with too many pixels? When the rumors were flying that new lenses might be required for the new 1Ds it made sense to me because I figured Canon would increase the physical size of the sensor to accommodate the higher pixel count. The Hasselblad H3 cameras with up to 39 MP, plus the digital backs such as the Phase One, are based on medium format cameras and the sensors are MUCH larger than the 35mm "full frame" size of the 1Ds. In fact, the "full frame" sensor of the 1Ds looks like a joke compared to the digital backs and the Hasselblad.

So is Canon playing the higher MP game to pry more money from our pockets when there may not be a true benefit? As I said, I am really curious to see the tests on this camera. I guess in a way I am hoping it is not such a great camera so I will not be tempted to spend the money for it to replace my original 11.3 1Ds. ;-)

Steve