At 2:00 AM -0700 9/1/07, Robert M. wrote:
Did anybody make any comparison of different super wide angle lenses for a
Canon D30/40? In particular, I would be interested in how the Canon 10-22
compares to a Tokina 12-24, Sigma 12-24, Tammron 11-18, etc

Thanks

I have the Canon 10-22 as well as the Sigma 12-24. I've handled and shot a little with the Tokina and Sigma 10-20 but haven't been near the Tamron. I have a Canon 20D as well as a 5D and have had a 1Ds,.

For a 20D (or 30 or 40), the Canon 10-22 makes a lot of sense. In relative terms, it's better than the old 16-35 Canon on full frame, and is relatively handy and light. The 12-24 Tokina lacks the wide end, and it is very noticeable, but construction seems very good. Performance is probably very slightly poorer than that of the Canon. From what I have seen the performance of the 10-20 Sigma _can_ be equal to that of the Canon, but often isn't (sample variation).

The 12-24 Sigma is a completely different lens. Slow, large and with an angle of view unmatched in the SLR world. Other types and formats of cameras have as larger or larger angles of view, but this is the lens with the widest rectilinear view for SLR's. If you have a full frame camera, go and try this lens. I bought it when I had the D60 and used it on that, but it really came into its own when I got the 1Ds. Virtually no distortion, and quality that was good enough to cause me to sell the 16-35 Canon. But again, as with most Sigmas, sample variation means that you should try the lens before you buy, as some are quite awful. Good ones are sharper than equivalent focal lengths on the 16-35, and the lens has essentially no distortion. A remarkable achievement. But it is slow.

If you have 1.6 factor camera, get the 10-22 Canon or 10-20 Sigma if you can try it out. If you have a full frame camera or a 1D series, get the 12-24 Sigma after trying it, or with return priveleges.

--
   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design