On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:36:48 -0700
"T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingswo...@gmail.com> wrote:

...snip...

> Yeah, opt-in sounds like a much better idea.  :-)

Yeah, it does mean slower, but I think it's good to only have those
things in that are for sure maintained.

> > So, I was thinking this time perhaps we could:
> >
> > * Setup a wiki page that contains all packages that are in
> > rhel7beta. (for reference)
> > * Setup another wiki page for epel7
> > * As soon as there is a group of packages there, Branch them.
> > * Keep the wiki page open until we are out of beta/rawhide mode and
> >   folks can mass add packages there for branching, process once a
> > day or something.
> > (this would avoid overloading scmadmins if someone wanted to branch
> > a bunch of packages).
> >
> > Thoughts or better ideas for branching?
>
> Any chance an automatic build could be tacked on the end of that?
> Seems like it would be pretty easy to add to your wiki script and
> would save packagers a little manual effort.  Of course, then you have
> to worry about build order and such so it might not be worth the
> trouble... :-(

Yeah, build order, if they want to adjust the packaging before
building, if they are ready to build then, etc, etc.
So, IMHO, a auto build is not a good idea.

> > The rest of the process would include:
> >
> > * Setup git scripts to allow epel7 branches.
> > (Default would be branch from f19)
>
> Excellent.  F19 is exactly what I'd want for all my packages. :-)
>
> > (need to decide if the git branch name is el7 or epel7).
>
> "el7" please like the existing two?  Is there any particular reason
> for it to be different?

We might go with epel7. The reason is that some people seem to have
confusion about the branches being 'elN'. "Oh, this is rhel6" No, it's
epel6, not rhel.

Overall pretty minor either way.

> > * Create gpg keys and add to signing server/verify pages.
> > * Branch epel-release and add keys, etc.
> > * Add koji tags and build targets, etc.
>
> Will the koji tags for EPEL7 be dropping the "dist-" prefix like
> Fedora did some time ago?

Yeah, I talked with Dennis and yes, he wants to make them not use
dist. :)

> > * Add bugzilla version for bugs.
> > * Probibly some wiki help to update things
> > * Setup nightly cron job that composes epel7 in rawhide mode.
> > * Don't depend on packages being signed until we exit rawhide mode.
> > * Move from rawhide -> normal mode some time after rhel7 final is
> > out (with 6 it was a few months after).

One more thing to add:
* add epel7 comps file to git comps. (Dennis already did this).

> > Can anyone think of other things we need to do?
> > Any other general questions or comments ?
>
> Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this quickly.  :-)

No problem. Probibly would be moving even faster, except we have a
Fedora 20 to get released. ;)

kevin