On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 18:52:38 -0700
"T.C. Hollingsworth" <tchollingswo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Christopher Meng
> <cicku...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > branch from EPEL6?
>
> He said F19.  :-)  That makes a lot more sense IMHO.

Right. New epel7 branches would get the content from the f19 branch to
start with. You can of course then commit whatever you like over that.
If folks really don't like that, we could also just make them
completely clean and ask people to re-import, but that seems like a
hassle to me.

> > How to deal with systemd related things?
>
> Generally, EPEL follows the Fedora Packaging Guidelines, so systemd
> units would be required for all new packages starting with EPEL7.
> Though I guess existing packages would be grandfathered in like they
> were with Fedora...

I wouldn't think so no. I would say all epel7 packages MUST use
systemd units. I don't know the state of the systemd rpm macros in
rhel7, we would need to figure that out. Hopefully they are all there.

> If we're branching from F19, hopefully packagers have got the systemd
> stuff figured out already.  They've had three years to prepare...

Yep.

> Now that you mention it though, I wonder if we should bother with the
> systemd-sysv-convert stuff [1] for EPEL7?  It got dropped from the
> Fedora guidelines (again, because it's been three years...) and
> Lennart seemed to think it was a bad idea in general, but the utility
> is indeed shipped in the RHEL 7 beta.

IMHO, we should not allow sysvinit stuff at all. It's just a hassle
and everyone should have already migrated anyhow.

> In the past, this would have been handwaved away by saying RHEL
> doesn't support upgrades, but rumor has it that this won't be the case
> this time around. ;-)

Yeah, I worry about that. We may want to say that EPEL doesn't support
them. I mean, upgrade path from epel6 is something we could easily
check and ask people to keep working, but there's lots of packages I
suspect where upgrades are a lot more complex... Perhaps we should say
"it might work, but if not, sorry"

> Anyone have any idea whether RH used the systemd-sysv-convert
> scriptlets for their packages?  I guess we should just follow them
> here...

No idea, but Fedora 19 packages should already be using systemd units
and I don't think we should allow packages that don't into epel7.

kevin