On 02/18/2016 01:56 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 23:24:58 -0700
> Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> 1. Packages will never disappear. [They don't disappear from Fedora 12
>>    even if it is archived.. ]
>
> To my understanding we never made this promise. We should try and
> communicate why it's NOT something we promise.

Could you elaborate on this please? I have asked before, but didn't
really get an answer. I don't understand this.

One of the reasons why I run my own mirror for my server farm is so that
I can rsync mirror EPEL _without_ doing a delete. Why? Because this
happens to me _all_ the time:

Day 1: Install package from EPEL.
Day 2: What do you mean the package isn't found? Look at main repo.
Shit. Package was there yesterday! Dig through mailing list for an hour
until I find a reason (some times I don't find a reason at all and have
to dig through Fedora's Koji for one).

I get that there are a dozen valid reasons for a package to no longer be
updated, but as long as it keeps working I don't understand why it has
to be deleted. I have a couple dozen packages that I still install for
my user base that haven't been in the main EPEL repo in a year.

My mirror for just 6 & 7 is ~100GB now. Small price for me since it
doesn't delete which has saved my butt numerous times when a package
suddenly disappears.

Thanks!
~Stack~