On 19 February 2016 at 08:35, Kevin Fenzi <ke...@scrye.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Feb 2016 14:42:12 -0700
> Stephen John Smoogen <smo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> One of the requests was to have snapshots of the guidelines that we
>> worked each channel against so that it was clearer what 5 wanted
>> versus 6 wanted.
>
> Sure, we have it divided into 5 and 6 here (I assume we don't have too
> many changes from 7):
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL:Packaging
>
>> > Yeah. I think we could include 2 versions of everything (at the
>> > cost of 2x of the mirror space and bandwith), but then you have
>> > things like foo-1.0 has a major security bug and foo-1.1 came out
>> > to fix it, and you trick someone into downgrading or installing the
>> > old one and exploit them. ;(
>>
>> If we don't delete them from koji we aren't fixing anything because if
>> I can trick you to downgrade, I can trick you to go to the version in
>> koji because it has the fix needed. [Since I have seen people talk
>> about their systems getting broken into after they did exactly that..
>> I think it isn't going too far in assumptions :)]
>
> Well, it becomes a great deal harder.
>
> 1. Hey, you should 'yum downgrade foo' because the newest one isn't
> good.
>
> vs
>
> 2. Hey, you should download this
> https://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/blah/blah/blah/foo.rpm and 'yum
> --nogpgcheck localinstall foo.rpm' because the new one is broken.
>
> The first one sounds a lot more legit. I think not having it in enabled
> repos makes it a good deal more clear.

Well currently people are having to be told that for every package we
remove even if it isn't a security problem just because it was removed
without maintainer. Once that becomes the 'norm' it becomes easier to
pull off the other type.

>> Or not promise it at all. I think the underlying issue is that people
>> think we do have full-time people working on EPEL with the same
>> controls (if not more) than we have in Fedora.
>
> Could be, yeah.

>> > Yeah, not sure how to fix that without a second workstation
>> > branch. :(
>>
>> The only monstrosities I have thought of were:
>> epel-server-N
>> epel-workstation-N
>> epel-combined-N
>>
>> which sounded like a ton of work for little benefit.
>
> Yes.
>
>> OH yeah.. that was one of the items.. why is the website so old and
>> dead. I told them your story about trying to fix it up and finding
>> parts reverted over and over again. Someone recommended : Just start
>> from scratch and kill the old stuff. Which I think was part of the
>> "recharter" talks.
>
> I'd fullly support someone working over the wiki... always good. ;)
>
> Not sure I have the cycles to do it myself tho.

I believe we are going to need to do so anyway as one of the proposals
coming out of the DevConf things was basically moving the wiki to be a
whiteboard versus a place where actual documentation for subprojects
go. However that is me listening to talks while trying to do my
homework so I am not sure how I am reading that to be "what we are
looking to do" to something else.

> kevin

Stephen J Smoogen.