On 1 November 2016 at 13:32, Tom Boutell <t...@punkave.com> wrote:
> I think that if a CVE arrives that we can't easily address through a patch,
> we have to be prepared to force an upgrade. Potentially "abandoning" a
> package that has CVEs in the wild, in the hope people will read about an
> optional upgrade, sounds like a policy we could regret.
>
> Is there any history of EPEL just abandoning a package? What should happen in
> that situation? Perhaps it's been necessary at some point (no support
> upstream, no one available downstream either...).

There is an incredibly long history of EPEL abandoning packages for
the above reasons all the time. It has been done pretty much from the
get-go. The standard practice has been that when a package no longer
is workable that it is withdrawn.

Yes it sucks all around but in many cases this is the path that has been taken.

Stephen J Smoogen.