On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, John Carmack wrote:

> I haven't made a 3D CAD drawing yet.  Most work to be done on a lathe or
> mill is easily expressed in 2D, and designing things that NEED 3D is
> probably a warning sign at our level.

Good point. The way I see it, we have existence proofs for putting
people in orbit without any CAD, so there's no need to get too worked
up about having fancy tools.

A good 2D design tool for people who don't plan on doing 3D and want
to get on the air ASAP is AutoSketch. It's ~$100, and requires nearly
no time to start drawing. The interface is intuitive, the help is OK,
and it's easy to undo errors. It exports DWG and a couple of other
formats. The nice thing about AutoSketch is that it's not designed
for engineers, it's designed for tinkerers, and the difference really
shows in terms of usability and learning curve. The maker is Autodesk,
the same guys who sell AutoCAD.

......Andrew

--
Andrew Case                             |
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    |