At 03:26 PM 5/29/2003 -0700, Randall Clague wrote:
On Thu, 29 May 2003 00:30:39 -0700, Pierce Nichols
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>It shouldn't be that hard if you can clear all the propellant from the
>tanks before impact.

You have time to dump all the propellants, but you don't have time to
get the engines lit?

When I think of appropriate emergency dump mechanisms, I think of blow-out panels in the tanks that open a hole with a cross section of a significant portion of a square meter in the side of the tank. The assumption is that if you have to do that, it is because you cannot get the engines lit and the ground is approaching rapidly.

-p

Mars or Bust! www.marssociety.com