--- Randall Clague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Do you really want to dump unburned rocket
> propellants onto a piece of
> ground you're about to crash-land on?

Depends.  If the choice is between certain death by
massive abrupt deceleration, versus potential or even
probably injury or death by not-so-massive abrupt
deceleration and the chance of winding up in a flaming
puddle of rocket fuel (assuming the collision itself,
or electrical leads jarred loos by the collision,
might
ignite the flame)...the latter is actually better
because the worst is not guaranteed.

But this would require a careful analysis of the
probabilities and forces for the specific rocket and
fuel load.  I doubt it's something we could
arbitrarily
determine for all VTVLs.

> If you were using LOX, this wouldn't be a bad idea
> for a VTVL.  LOX
> dump only.

I can see the irony: LOX dump to make a landing you
can
walk away from, only to slip on the suddenly-chilled,
and thus suddenly-wet-from-condensation (or even
suddenly-iced), ground and break a leg upon trying to
walk away.

Thinking about it, though - if you were using H2O2,
monoprop or bi, wouldn't it be as safe to dump that?
(Not a short distance over people, of course, but you
wouldn't want to dump LOX there either.)  H2O2 would
likely react away in a short time, possibly mostly
before you hit the ground in some cases.