On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM, David Bruant <david.bru...@labri.fr>wrote:

>  Le 19/03/2011 17:58, Mark S. Miller a écrit :
>
> [...] The two things I'd fix in this lower layer abstraction:
>
>  * No clamping. Time runs as fast as the platform lets it run.
> * The return value is not an integer but a unique unforgeable object
> for canceling the event. No one without that object can cancel that event.
>
> This last point is something I was about to raise when starting to think
> about extending the Q API.
> setTimeout returns a number, so a malicious could loop through numbers and
> call clearTimeout on them. An unforgeable object sounds like the correct
> response to this issue. Have you considered wrapping setTimeout&friends in
> SES with this solution? It wouldn't break code which do not rely on the
> returned value being a number (but would break code which does, of course).

Caja does exactly this. So far we haven't found any code that this actually
breaks. All uses we've encountered[1] treat the return value of
setTimeout/setInterval as simply something they can remember and later pass
to clearTimeout/clearInterval.

[1] That I'm aware of. Caja users should speak up if they've hit a
counter-example. Or anyone else that has seen code in the wild that actually
counts on these values being numbers.

I actually haven't thought about this in the context of SES, and I must.
Thanks for raising this.

> I think there would be a need to wrapped the passed callback in order to
> achieve garbage collection.

I didn't understand that. Could you expand? Thanks.

> I agree on the rest you've said except one thing: I'm not really sure ES
> should standardized the 4ms clamping. It is a reality in web browsers and
> maybe fair for the WHATWG to standardize it as such for web backward
> compatibility, but maybe that other non-web browser ES-based implementations
> do not follow this 4ms restriction. Any idea if there is a 4ms clamping in
> node.js setTimeout? Or in other ES-based implementations?
> If there is none, the ECMAScript spec could just leave some room to
> implementation-dependent behaviors.

I like this approach. Does anyone know of any problems leaving the 4ms issue
as dependent on the hosting environment, and not to be standardized as part
of an ES setTimeout/setInterval standard?

> After giving it further thought, here are the ideas I've had on adding time
> to the Q API:
> Q.when(timedPromise, success); would be a nice syntax to call a 'success'
> function when the promise is resolved.

I don't understand. Given that timedPromise is the kind of thing that
delay() returns, just doing a Q.when() on a timePromise as above will
already do the right thing. That's why the delay() and race() abstractions
compose so nicely -- because race() does a Q.when on the promise returned by
delay().

I suspect I'm misunderstanding you. I'll wait for clarification on this
point before proceeding with the rest.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM