On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Mark S. Miller <erig...@google.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM, David Bruant <david.bru...@labri.fr>wrote:
>
>>  Le 19/03/2011 17:58, Mark S. Miller a écrit :
>>
>> [...] The two things I'd fix in this lower layer abstraction:
>>
>>  * No clamping. Time runs as fast as the platform lets it run.
>> * The return value is not an integer but a unique unforgeable object
>> for canceling the event. No one without that object can cancel that event.
>>
>> This last point is something I was about to raise when starting to think
>> about extending the Q API.
>> setTimeout returns a number, so a malicious could loop through numbers and
>> call clearTimeout on them. An unforgeable object sounds like the correct
>> response to this issue. Have you considered wrapping setTimeout&friends in
>> SES with this solution? It wouldn't break code which do not rely on the
>> returned value being a number (but would break code which does, of course).
>>

> Caja does exactly this. So far we haven't found any code that this actually
> breaks. All uses we've encountered[1] treat the return value of
> setTimeout/setInterval as simply something they can remember and later pass
> to clearTimeout/clearInterval.
>
> [1] That I'm aware of. Caja users should speak up if they've hit a
> counter-example. Or anyone else that has seen code in the wild that actually
> counts on these values being numbers.
>
> I actually haven't thought about this in the context of SES, and I must.
> Thanks for raising this.

Yes, of course SES must do so, as Caja does. I'm not even sure why I needed
a moment to think about this ;).

The raises the issue of how ES-future should specify setTimeout/setInterval,
such that SES remains a compatible fail-stop subset of ES. Should ES leave
unspecified what the return value is, so long as it is acceptable as input
to clearTimeout/clearInterval? That way, SES would be a compatible subset of
ES as spec'ed, even though it would not be a subset of ES as implemented. Or
could we actually get away with changing the setTimeout spec to specify an
unforgeable opaque object? If possible, cleaning this up would be awesome.

--
    Cheers,
    --MarkM