On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Dave Herman <dher...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> These are all good points-- I may not have time to reply this weekend but I
> will.
>
> I just want quickly to point out that despite the wording on
> strawman:strawman ("TC39's response to..."), the vats/promises strawman has
> by no means been agreed upon yet.

Good point. FWIW, that line was meant as informal humor, but I see how it
can be misread. Fixed.

> As I say, I believe it's not mature enough to be likely to make the May
> cutoff. I don't even understand what vats are well enough to have an opinion
> yet.

As a probability estimate, I agree with this as well. I consider a long
shot, but a shot worth taking. In any case, being on the agenda for May, I
haven't yet invested the time to clarify the text. I hope to do so in April.

> [...]
>> this element's absence any more important than the absence of, > say,
>> onMouseover? Granted, it has more applicability than just the > browser
>> (since node.js uses it), but as Kyle's already pointed out, > some
>> embeddings may not want to expose the system clock. Actually, a conforming
>> ES5 implementation implements Date.now(). In that condition, it's hard to
>> not expose the system clock, or am I missing something? This is giving me a
>> (terrible) idea to implement setTimeout. We could have two vats. One asks
>> the second to resolve some promise after a certain amout of time. The second
>> loops and resolve the promise when the delay is passed (measured as a delta
>> between Date.now() at request reception and in the loop test. I warned on
>> the terrible aspect of the idea). On resolution, the function passed to
>> Q.when in the first vat is called. Despite the inelegancy, could it work? >>
>> And I intuit it wouldn't be that hard to add it. > > It's not exactly a walk
>> in the park. Have you ever tried to formalize > real time? Einstein had a
>> few words to say about this subject. :-) I am aware of the theorical
>> problem. However, it has never prevented people from including "time" in
>> different languages specifications, or implementing libraries using the
>> concept of "time". There are also people out there writing "performance
>> benchmarks" where they "measure time"! Joke aside, there is no need to
>> formalize real time. For Date.now(), ES5 says: "The now function return a
>> Number value that is the time value designating the UTC date and time of the
>> occurrence of the call to now." About setTimeout and setInterval, WHATWG
>> says: "This API does not guarantee that timers will fire exactly on
>> schedule. Delays due to CPU load, other tasks, etc, are to be expected." In
>> my opinion, these are sufficiently accurate approximations of real time so
>> that implementors can know what to do while admitting they've given up on
>> formalizing real time and don't want to dig any further the topic. > I still
>> just don't get this whole thread. > But I still don't see why standardizing
>> timers, and only timers, is so > important. Node implements them, and they
>> work. What problem are we > fixing? So, to summurize a couple of things that
>> has been said: * With the work on strawman:concurrency, the event loop
>> concept will be added to ECMAScript.next (regardless what is decided for
>> setTimeout). * Standardizing setTimeout based on the event loop is basically
>> just adding a timing component to the event loop. * "Real time is already in
>> ECMAScript 5 through Date.now()" * Standardizing setTimeout is the occasion
>> to fully specify the string-as-a-first argument case to avoid de facto
>> standards before strict mode or Harmony opt-in is widely deployed. I was
>> about to say something about security, but since Mark replied, it will be
>> more acurate to reply to him on the topic. David

    Cheers,
    --MarkM