…But we wouldn't want to require the arguments to the set constructor
to require instantiation itself/themselves, right? If a set has to be
constructed with an Iterable, and cannot (also) be constructed with
individual atoms, then you'll end up with use cases like Set(['foo',
'bar', 'baz']), which requires two constructions, one of which is
essentially a waste. If allowing both forms of the constructor is
distasteful, then why not just go with the multiple parameters,
approach, and implement toSet() as a method on appropriate Iterables?

-Michael A. Smith