On Sat, 03 Mar 2012 01:55:59 +0100, Allen Wirfs-Brock
<al...@wirfs-brock.com> wrote:

At this stage, choice of a symbol seems to be most about what will cause the lesser about of opposition based solely upon the symbol choice. Some people seem top really hate <|. If there a reasonable alternatives that don't generate the same sort of negative response then it is worth considering them.

Since it seems there are many supporters for "arrow-like" symbols pointing
in either direction, and both of these groups seem to think the symbol
points in the "wrong" direction if it isn't the direction they imagine it
pointing to, perhaps it's better to look for more alternatives of
direction-neutral operators instead. Here are some suggestions:

      let obj = proto \\ {
          prop: "test",
          foo: 10
      }
      let obj = proto #: {
          prop: "test",
          foo: 10
      }

Another "direction-neutral" symbol that has been proposed is `<>`. I think
operators without a sense of direction would see less opposition.

Jonas

(This is my first post to the list; I couldn't find anything that
indicates that input from members of the ECMAScript community is unwanted.
If I'm not supposed to participate, just tell me and I'll be quiet.)