On Mar 2, 2012, at 4:31 PM, Luke Hoban wrote:

>>> What do you think? Do you like -> better than <| ?  Is it ok to not have it
>>> available for some possible future function shorthand?
>
> Both => and -> have strong associations with function shorthands from C#,
> Scala, C++,  Java 8, Perl, CoffeeScript, ML, Haskell and more.  Whether or
> not JavaScript adopts a ->/=> shorthand in the future (I still think it
> should), many developers will think of it as having an association with
> functions.  Using -> for the proto-of operator effectively also removes the
> ability to use => as function shorthand later, due to the syntactic
> similarity of these two operators.

Any of these usages (at least for the more widely used languages) are fairly
new so I don't know that they establish that strong of a precedent for ES.

The starting premise for considering -> is that we are not likely to use it (or
=>) for a lambda shorthand.  Block lambda seems to be the direction that how
the most momentum.

Allen