On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM, David Herman <dher...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> have it available for some possible future function shorthand?
> >
> > Both => and -> have strong associations with function shorthands from
> C#, Scala, C++,  Java 8, Perl, CoffeeScript, ML, Haskell and more.
>
> This argument seems to over-reach. C and C++ use -> for pointer
> indirection. Perl uses -> for method calls.

This is precisely why it can't really be overloaded any further.

> > Whether or not JavaScript adopts a ->/=> shorthand in the future (I
> still think it should), many developers will think of it as having an
> association with functions.
>
> I don't know. If we want to use it for function shorthand, that's one
> thing. But every language defines its own syntax. And arrows are a very
> generic notation in CS, used for many, many more things than functions.
>
> > Using -> for the proto-of operator effectively also removes the ability
> to use => as function shorthand later, due to the syntactic similarity of
> these two operators.
>
> This is definitely true. We have only got so much grawlix space left in
> the universe to use.

Does it *have* to be ascii? The growlix space of unicode is vast:
https://plus.google.com/109925364564856140495/posts

Reaching into the depths of unicode was roundly panned during the function
shorthand debates but Allen's reach for ◁ is compelling -- is it really so
bad to just go all in for it?

FWIW I personally think <| is just fine :)