My original implementation in JSC was as an Array, but I found that there were
sites that depended on .stack being a string if it was present.  Any form of
string encoding we expect to be machine parseable by necessity will require
escaping and full format description.  I've actually been tempted to switch
JSC's current icky format into JSON on the basis that JSON is already well
defined, and everyone has fast encoders and decoders for JSON these days.

--Oliver