+1!

It would be great if someone will explain in detail why
Object.setPrototypeOf is no go.

We definitely need mutable prototype, but having it via __proto__ really
breaks the language.

Any function that blindly extends object with provided hash is affected e.g.
extend(obj, { __proto__: Error.prototype }).
Additionally it means that we need to serialize any user input which
eventually may be used as key on a dictionary e.g. data[userDefinedName].
That's bad, and it's hard for me to believe we can't do it better.

François REMY-3 wrote:

> I certainly agree, but it has been decided otherwhise by the TC39 members
> and I doubt they’re willing to revert their decision.

-----
Mariusz Nowak

https://github.com/medikoo