On 24/10/2013, at 17:06, François REMY wrote:

> HTTP 2.0 can send you multiple files in parallel on the same connection: that
> way you don't pay (1) the TCP's Slow Start cost, (2) the HTTPS handshake and
> (3) the cookie/useragent/... headers cost.

Doesn't connection:keep-alive deal with (1) and (2) nicely?

> Under HTTP 2.0, you can also ask for the next files while you receive the
> current one (or send them by batch), and that reduces the RTT cost to 0.

Http2.0 doesn't (and can't) fix the 1 RTT per request cost: it's just like
http1.1.

If http2.0 lets me ask for n files in a single request then yes, the RTT would
be ˜ 1, or 1/n per request if you will, which is just like asking for a .zip in
http1.1

> Also, the server can decide to send you a list of files you didn't request (à
> la ZIP), making totally unnecessary for your site to ask for the files to
> preload them.

Can a server always know what the page is going to need next... beforehand?
Easily?

> The priority of downloads is negotiated between the browser and the server,
> and not dependent on the 6 connections and the client.

Yes, that sounds great!

> The big advantage of the HTTP2 solution over the ZIP is that your site could
> already load with only the most important files downloaded while if you use a
> ZIP you've to wait until all files have been downloaded.

1.- Bundle *wisely*
2.- n gzipped files multiplexed in a single http2.0 connection don't
necessarily arrive faster than the same files .zipped through a non-multiplexed
http1.1 connection: multiplexing has an overhead (at both ends) that http1.1
hasn't.
3.- Yes, you can't (you can, but shouldn't until you've got the index which
comes last) unzip a .zip as it arrives, but knowing for sure that all its files
are cached (after unzipping) is a plus, imo.
4.- It's not http2.0 *or* .zip bundling. We could have both. Why not?

> From a performance point of view, this is an issue. Also, since you can only
> start analyzing the resources at that time, you will overload the CPU at that
> time. If you can unzip the files one by one, you can spread the load over a
> much longer time.

Overload the cpu? :-P

> ± In the equation you paint above something important is missing: the fact
> that
> ± there's a round-trip delay per request (even with http2.0), and that the
> only
> ± way to avoid it is to bundle things, as in .zip bundling, to minimize the
> ± (number of requests and thus the) impact of latencies.
>
> Go find some HTTP2 presentation, you'll learn things ;-)

Look, I've done it, I♥it, it's awesome, and I keep thinking that .zip bundling
would be a nice thing to have too.

--
( Jorge )();