joe wrote:
That's a good point. Are lexical non-DFA grammars allowed? It would be trivial to solve that with a regular expression lookahead. Although I suppose at that point you might as well call it a cover grammar.

We must avoid being too clever -- it complicates implementations and inevitably incurs future-hostility to extensions we may want, if not outright bugginess.

All of this suggests prefix ? is the better course. Anyone have counterexamples?

/be

Joe