Yeah, but performance issues are different from not being
backwards-compatible.

I think it is a mistake to assume that a developer has a right to always
have optimal performance without requiring anything to get it.  It almost
sounds like you're saying that there should be no cost to the consumer for
choosing not to evolve with the language.

Things we buy into in life (not just a coding language) will depreciate in
value and will require either an upgrade or a replacement or significant
maintenance and, if not done, the consumer will suffer the consequences of
choosing to remain stagnant. And the longer the stagnation, the greater the
change needed to put the consumer in the same (or better) position they
were in before the depreciation got so bad.

That said, I'm still struggling to see a real need to remove older JS
features.