killall xdm
apt-get remove kdm
apt-get install gdm (most likely xdm is removed anyway when you install gdm,
but I wouldn't take any chances)

question:  Do you want to search for other window managers?  <yes>

I'll show you tonight how to add additional window managers to gdm.  You just
need to copy 1 file to another name.

If you just want a shell, use the VC's, although you can set up the different
runlevels just by deleting the entry in /etc/rcX.d that starts the process,
where X is the runlevel.  Of course, this might break some things later on
down the line, though not too badly if you know how to fix it.

--Mike