----------
> From: Dexter Graphic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Cc: Dan Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: [Eug-lug]Dan's text based computer system
> Date: Monday, December 16, 2002 1:37 PM
>
> > I assume he'd be wise to use a menu system of some sort.  I can
help
> > there as well, though I have not actually used any program that
might be
> > useful except for pdmenu, which is likely not what he would want.
>
> Why would he want/need a menu system? If he prefers text-based
interaction
> with his computer I would expect him to be able to issue console
commands.

Oops, not quite so. Depending on what you mean by menus, I think
optional ones, that can be disabled as one learns commands, are quite
useful. At the novice level, pushing Alt or Ctrl would give a menu,
with sub-menus to follow. Later, have main menus come on after a
hesitation, then not at all. Similarly with sub-menus. Rather like
CPM Wordstar from the seventies.

> We're talking about a completely functional mail system here with
all
> of the above-mentioned programs configured and usable. Did you
figure
> in training and tech support? Do you think that he is going to be
able
> to do all the things you can without your walking him through it
and
> explaining ever step of the way?

Hey, I can read also, and even ask questions. And sometimes I get
intelligible answers. :)

> I don't know how to be any more specific about this than I already
have:
> Dan needs to get a text-based mail system working on his system. He
already
> has Debian 3.0 installed and working fine. PPP and vwdial is
already setup
> and working. He needs fetchmail, sendmail, procmail, mutt, emacs,
and aspell
> configured so that he ends up with a fully functional GNU/Linux
mail system.

What I need is an email "package", with nice short "commands", but
maybe that will have to come later.

> You should be able to present Dan with a package price to get the
job done.
> That way he won't have to worried about costs escalating out of
control.

Joseph sounds like an "expert" on my system, and I don't think
there'll be any problem.

Dan