I'm working with some networking stuff (on debian for those playing along
at home)

and i notice that the syntax in /etc/network/interfaces for adding virtual
interfaces is eth{n}:{n} where n is a digit

but for iptables rules : is an illegal character (the rule gets ignored)

this type of inconsistency strikes me as the most annoying trait of unix,
in that it would be perfectly reasonable to treat the virtual interfaces
as used by if{up|down} as separate for filtering purposes.

theres probably a perfectly reasonable explanation why and if I read the
man page (or the code) for long enough I would know it, but i want it to
work now (except it doesn't)

:the above was written an hour ago :P

{to a well known cinematic tune:

        We're off to read the man page, the wonderful man page of arp,
        and iptables and rfcs too, to try and decipher the
        infuriating things it do.
}

--
http://www.efn.org/~laprice        ( Community, Cooperation, Consensus