On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Bob Miller wrote:

> Tell us what problem you're trying to solve, and I'll (try to)
> tell you why virtual interfaces aren't part of the solution.

the problem:

a host has a single physical interface eth0
and answers on two ip addresses (10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3)

10.0.0.2 is supposed to answer on ports 21,22,79 and allow outbound
traffic and existing connections for any other protocol

10.0.0.3 is supposed to answer on port 80 and not for anything else

ICMP for both addresses is only available from within the 10.0.0.0/25
segment

At this point it looks more like routing than packet filters.

--
http://www.efn.org/~laprice        ( Community, Cooperation, Consensus
http://www.opn.org                 ( Openness to serendipity, make mistakes