> On Wednesday 04 June 2003 16:25, Grigsby, Garl wrote:
>
> > Looking at SMC's sight it looks like some of their routers do
> > sport a com port (well I'll be damned....).
>
> That's for hooking up a dumb terminal to the router so you can
> configure it.  It's highly unlikely to be a second routing
> interface.

Actually, many of the SMC routers seem to use a browser interface
_exclusively_. Its one of the things I don't like about them as
they seem picky about which browser they want to cooperate with.
I've got the SMC7004ABR - described as a "4-Port 10/100 Mbps
Broadband Router". Its com port is for an external modem which you
can use either exclusively or as a fallback when the WAN dies. It
also has a parallel port for connecting a printer (it has a built-in
print server as well though it doesn't work very well).

- Beaker