I'm not sure what platform/environment you're working in (only mentioned
OS X), but if you have access to bzip (use 'bunzip2' or 'bzip2 -d') you
should be able to do it.  Try the man pages for the full story...

You might want to first look for a <file>.md5 or <file.md5sum to see if
whoever hosted the files posted a checksum.  This way you can verify
that your download was correct (checksums are fabulous "within
reasonable doubt" tools!) -- you'd run "md5sum <filename>" on your end,
and make sure that the hash that comes out matches the one posted.
It is good practice, esp. when dealing with extremely large files like
ISO cdrom images or mission-critical files, to use checksums (some tools
like rsync use checksums internally, too).

Hopefully after "b-unzipping it" you'll be left with the .iso file you
desire... that's how the default naming scheme works (as for gzip).

Does OS X have bzip?

best of luck to you,

    Ben B

PS - of course, large files like ISO's will take a [relatively] long
time to checksum, compress, and decompress...

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 09:21:04 -0700
Rodney Mishima <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Hope this does not reveal how dumb I am.
<bah>