I'm not exactly sure, but I think you want to know more about what many
wiki enthusiasts term "noding", ie making and editing nodes on a wiki.
You can learn a lot about 'wikiwiki' at a root of wiki culture, the
Portland Pattern Repository:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WelcomeVisitors

Be sure to check out this node, and all its links:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiWeb

And then shift gears, and learn about the way things are done over at
http://everything2.net/
Be sure to examine the "Getting Started" guide, and the FAQ.

Everything2 is a special case (and IMO a worthy one!), but c2.com will
explain the core mechanics, history, and ideologies of wikis in general.
 Our user group's wiki is a phpwiki, I believe, which I use for some
personal information management(as did my previous employer). Twiki has
been enjoyed by some other folks I work with (although it is not Truly
Free), and there is one called Tiki that has been very highly active at
sourceforge -- I want to try it out and may be able to report something
on it soon.  Hope this helps in your quest...

Regards,

   Ben Barrett