<snip> latest firmware with the card then things tend to work better. </snip>

        See the thing is when you are setting up a core service, like email hosting,
you do not want things to "work better", you want them to work flawlessly. I don't
mind messing around with things like IDE raid on a workstation, as long as it is not a
critical one, but when it comes to something that has to work all of the time, then
you go with a time tested and trusted solution. SCSI raid has been around for a long
time and it works very, very well. SCSI disks are built better than their IDE
counterparts. Yes they cost a lot more per GB, but you get what you pay for. These
disks will be seeing a lot of use. They will be on 24/7/365 for 5 years under steady
use.
        Larry said he was looking for a system that would be useable for 5 years with
near zero downtime. That means you go with the most reliable components you can. Will
it cost more? Of course. Now if he had said, we need 95% uptime, then maybe bringing
the system down to replace IDE disks would be OK.

Sorry, if I seem to be beating this to death, but as far as I am concerned IDE is not
an option. I've seen too many IDE drives die (remember the IBM 75GXP?) to trust them
on something like a mail server.

Garl