>From what you have told me, I would say that SCSI is definitely the way to go for a
>number of reasons.

1) Reliability. SCSI disks tend to be built to a better standard. Most SCSI disks come
with either a 4 or 5 year warranty for a reason. They last forever ( have got 8 year
old Seagate SCSI disks that are still going today). Most IDE disks are coming with a 1
year warranty (The high end versions are coming with 3).

2) Uptime. I have yet to see an Native IDE system that allowed reliable hot swapping
of drives. SATA may offer this, but I wouldn't rely on it for a system that you need
to last for 3-5 years. It is still to new of a system.

3) Complexity. IDE busses allow for two drives per channel. Ultra320 allows for 14
(15-1 for the controller card). Fewer cables, fewer cards, less of a mess to wire.

If you really want to save money you can go with IDE over SCSI. I have no personal
experience with this but from what I have read, they are OK. They are considerably
slower than native SCSI, but they seem to work. There sure are enough people selling
them.

4) Performance. Ultra320 drives are expensive but they have excellent transfer rates
and access times. As for the drives I would recommend either the Seagate Cheetah or
the Maxtor Atlas. Both run fairly cool and are very, very, very reliable.

You are after VERY high performance go with the 15k drives, but you will new a bunch
of them. I think the largest 15k drive that is currently available is a 73Gb. They
make 147Gb drives but only in the 10k versions.

Whatever you do make sure you go with 64bit controllers, hardware raid, lots of cache
memory, and make sure you have redundant, hotswapable everything. If you can't hotswap
it, it WILL fail.

Hope that helps.
Garl