OK, if I'm overposting to the list, please tell me.  I do not want to abuse
the privilege.

Here's an easy one, though I bet there is no consensus on the answer.  Which
Linux distribution is ideal to get started with?  RedHat dominates, but I
get the feeling that RedHat is looking a lot like MS, so in that case I may
as well continue with XP.  I have Mandrake 9.0 on CDs, downloaded from OSU.
I installed that some months ago, and it was (in the "easy mode") as simple
as Windows to install.  But I shortly ended up giving that machine to a
friend in need (I put Win 2k back on it).  I guess the other big choices are
Debian and SuSe, right?  I get the feeling that real geeks use Debian.  Is
there a big difference here between Debian and Mandrake?  Perhaps I should
explain that my primary aims are in web dev; I am presently on XP, using
Macromedia Studio MX (no Linux port, alas).  I had been going doing the
WinServer/ASP/SQL Server model for some time, and am transitioning to LAMP,
albeit haphazardly.  I have plowed through some PHP books, and have Apache,
MySQL, and PHP running on my XP laptop, as well as PHP & MySQL on an old
tower (333Mhz Cyrix) running Win2k w/IIS.  But there seems to be significant
differences between Apache/PHP on Linux versus the same on Windows, plus I
would frankly love to dump Microsoft schtuff altogether, starting with that
old tower and eventually my laptop.  Lotsa words for a simple question:
Which Linux?

Alright one more - I use Macromedia Studio, especially Dreamweaver.  Does
anything similar exist for Linux, specifically PHP?  Zend Studio?

Maximillian