My distribution preference in order: knoppix or demolinux, Mandrake (current version) , red hat, Debian.
Both knoppix and demolinux can be ran from the cd sithout installing onto your hard drive. For an installation onto your hard disk I start with mandrake, and reccommend you play around withit until
the next version of Red hat comes out. Then go to Borders or Barnes and Noble and get a book on Red Hat
that includes the red hat installation cd's ( by this time you are ready to dig into linux and start learning things
perhaps noone else locally uses. Before installing Red Hat write down the name and versions of programs
you are using from the Mandrake Installation.
The distribution you start with may be modified by what can be easily installed on your particular system
most easily. Mandrake uses gui's to configure most programs, Red Hat is next. But every once in a while
there is a problem with an installation because of a particular hardware item. I am reminded of the
cyberblade video chip problem in laptops in I think it was mandrake 7 series.
This type of gotcha can hit with any distribution.
Also admittedly a large number of eugluger have recent experience with debian.
Also for searching the net I highly reccommend www.google.com/linux for linux issues.
Jim K-
Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:

OK, if I'm overposting to the list, please tell me.  I do not want to abuse
the privilege.

Here's an easy one, though I bet there is no consensus on the answer.  Which
Linux distribution is ideal to get started with?  RedHat dominates, but I
get the feeling that RedHat is looking a lot like MS, so in that case I may
as well continue with XP.  I have Mandrake 9.0 on CDs, downloaded from OSU.
I installed that some months ago, and it was (in the "easy mode") as simple
as Windows to install.  But I shortly ended up giving that machine to a
friend in need (I put Win 2k back on it).  I guess the other big choices are
Debian and SuSe, right?  I get the feeling that real geeks use Debian.  Is
there a big difference here between Debian and Mandrake?  Perhaps I should
explain that my primary aims are in web dev; I am presently on XP, using
Macromedia Studio MX (no Linux port, alas).  I had been going doing the
WinServer/ASP/SQL Server model for some time, and am transitioning to LAMP,
albeit haphazardly.  I have plowed through some PHP books, and have Apache,
MySQL, and PHP running on my XP laptop, as well as PHP & MySQL on an old
tower (333Mhz Cyrix) running Win2k w/IIS.  But there seems to be significant
differences between Apache/PHP on Linux versus the same on Windows, plus I
would frankly love to dump Microsoft schtuff altogether, starting with that
old tower and eventually my laptop.  Lotsa words for a simple question:
Which Linux?

Alright one more - I use Macromedia Studio, especially Dreamweaver.  Does
anything similar exist for Linux, specifically PHP?  Zend Studio?

Maximillian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cory Petkovsek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>