Hey List,

I'll throw in 2 cents here. Yes, WEP does suck (i.e.
it's easily crackable, requires manual
keying/rekeying, etc.), though I use it at home and
suggest it to others. Reason being is that traffic on
home or even SOHO WLANs is typically fairly low, and
WEP attacks depend on gathering lots of traffic and IV
collisions. But, given time, your WEP key will be
cracked. It's just faster if your WLAN generates a lot
of traffic. As a note, I also use and suggest MAC
filters for home users. I don't have any real
assumptions of security with this setup, but any
important data/traffic I'm working with is also
encrypted w/ SSH, SSL, or IPSec (sometimes
combinations).

Enterprises or decent size companies have a lot of
other options even outside of WPA (which I don't
beleive has been finalized yet). Typically, they rely
on hw homogeneity (i.e. use Cisco) - 802.1x, LEAP.
These solutions use stuff like user rather than device
authentication, per packet keying, RADIUS, etc. They
are pretty robust, and Cisco is typically what I would
recommend (pricy but good).

WPA is essentially going to be a standardization of a
lot of these adhoc extensions that have been made to
WLAN/WEP, etc. security (i.e. will work with non-cisco
gear). WPA will be a huge improvement and will likely
have plenty of support across vendors.

As mentioned, Ben's suggestions of ssh/ipsec/ssl are
also definite options for smaller networks, and are
good practices in general.

P.S. - any note about this Thursday's meeting? There
was a note last week about the building being closed?
I was going to try and make it this week.

Later,

>WEP sucks anyway, if you want "good" encryption,
>then use a (ha, patched) version of ipsec, ssh, >lsh,
etc...  If it takes a few more