On Wednesday 12 November 2003 12:59, Bob Crandell wrote:

> When I type rpm -i wu-ftpd-2.6.2-12.i386.rpm on a brand new
> Redhat 9.0 box I get
> rpm: relocation error: rpm: undefined symbol: poptAliasOptions

Well, first of all I wouldn't use wu_ftpd.  Redhat has (finally!)
switched to vsftpd, which is likely to be a good deal more
secure.

I would try installing yum, available from

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/yum/

-- and using it to install whatever it is you're looking for.  It
also does a nice job of auto-updating.  Yum is the default
updater in Fedora Linux, and is a good deal more robust than
another, older product known as apt-rpm.

This is something I cover in my classes.  If you want more info,
feel free to contact me.  You might (or might not) also find my
lecture slides useful.  They're at

http://www.peak.org/~mountainman/classnotes/3372/ClassNotes.html

in the lecture notes for Session 2, towards the end.

I also have an extra copy of the "RedHat's RPM Guide" (ISBN
0-7645-4965-0) that I'd be willing to trade for something nice,
such as an AMD 550 processor.

Ken