On Wednesday 12 November 2003 17:20, jgw wrote:

> The patch for that vulnerability was issued nearly a month
> before Blaster. I believe Blaster first showed up around August
> 11th. The patch in question, MS03-026, came out in mid-July...
> the 16th?
>
> The worm was relatively successful not because Microsoft hadn't
> yet issued a patch, it was successful due to lazy sysadmins not
> patching their systems in a timely manner.

"Lazy sysadmins"?  I beg to differ.

How about "overworked sysadmins"?  I was once in charge of a 'Doze
network and there was no way I could keep current with the
patches.  Before one patch project was complete, there were two
more vulnerabilities that needed patching.  And patching M$
systems isn't exactly quick or easy with all of the testing that
must be done first, not to mention trying to schedule the patch
around various or department's schedules.  I could have worked
full-time at that place doing nothing else -- but I was required
to do everything else.

The problem isn't lazy sysadmins, unless not wanting to work 70
hours per week is your definition of "lazy."

Ken