On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 02:51:03PM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > BTW, Larry, you forgot to remind folks not to unplug a USB mass storage
> > device before unmounting it  = )
>
> Does mounting it "-o ro" help in that respect?

No.  Kernels get damned confused when mounted devices disappear.  In the
case of a floppy, you can put it back and it will be in the same spot, so
the kernel will deal.  In the case of a USB device, at least with 2.4.x,
there is no promise the device will not appear in a new location with a
new device name and thereby really fark things up.

If you can access your camera with mtools, I suggest doing so.  Too bad
there is no way to tie mtools into the Linux VFS (good or otherwise..)

Actually, this has got me thinking about how to better handle things like
swapping disks, root filesystems on removable CDs, etc.

It seems that the -bind mount option and / being completely virtual (ie,
in the kernel) would be the right way to go about it, but I haven't come
up with a good way to implement it.  What's clear is that what I envision
is outside the realm of automounters and traditional UNIX filesystem
methodology.  (Which means it'll never happen in Linux..)

Ah well.  =)