On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:58:22AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> Cory Petkovsek wrote:
>
> > qpkg works but is quite slow.
>
> Yes, without the -I flag, qpkg searches all of /usr/portage.  But with
> -I, it runs quickly.  ("qpkg -I -v -nc" ran in 0.25 seconds of real
> time on my box just now.)

Indeed, it's much faster.  Also note KBob's use of -nc, the no color
option, very useful when redirecting output.

> > Be careful with gentoo on a laptop.  I have two laptops with gentoo on
> > it.  Laptop hardware is not designed to be running at 100% cpu
> > utilization all the time, while a desktop could care less.
>
> Good point.  My laptop has been a [EMAIL PROTECTED] client without damaging
> itself, and I'd use distcc to offload as much compiling as possible,
> but it's still a valid concern.

Depends on the laptop I suppose.  [EMAIL PROTECTED] has been running on my tecra 8000
(ok, it's only a 266 MHz pII, but ...) with the lid closed for 4 days.
The tecra has good support under gentoo ... _everything_ works.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>