On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 11:58:22AM -0800, Bob Miller wrote:
> > The other laptop I have a 3 year warranty on it, and the hardware is
> > so new that Gentoo is the best for it.  Freebsd won't boot.
>
> What'd you get?

Dell inspiron 8000 or maybe 8500.  P4 2.2 ghz, 512mb, 30gb, geforce 2 or
4 with 64mb video ram, 15" wide screen, cdrw+dvd and windows XP!  It was
a gift.  It was also a challenge to find a version of the kernel that
actually ran on it without problems.  Knoppix was the only one for a
while, but I eventually figured out a gentoo config that allowed it to
boot without hanging.  There is no apm, only acpi controlled power
management which linux support is coming up on.  So I haven't gotten
suspend to work yet.  I have a touchpad and a usb mouse.  They have two
different interfaces, but I got X to work with both, simultaneously!

I'm also in the process of getting a new (used) system from computer
base to put freebsd on.  I had it for a while on my firewall, but didn't
have the time to figure out how to get Kame and FreeS/WAN to
interoperate, even though it has been done.  I need vpn access, so for
the time being it is linux on my firewall.  However it's also time to
get serious with freebsd.  Then I'll be getting serious with solaris.

Grrrr!

btw, as long as we are talking about toys, I also just got an APC
SU3000RM!  A 3000va rack mount, 8 port, 3u, 120lbs UPS.  The thing is so
heavy I haven't even opened the box yet.  I hope my smaller rack can
hold it without taking it down through the floor.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your