you might want to check out GARNOME

http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

It's a set of build scripts used by (among others ) the gnome UI usability people
the lnx-bbc people are quite fond of it.

I've had my own adventures with gnome lately which showed up some limitations of the ports system at least when it comes to gnome

(think of the worst hosage you can get with recursive make and unresolved dependencies
and then throw in things like libintl.so.4 not being recognised :P )

On the other hand gnome has been my home desktop for a while now.