Rob Hudson wrote:

> Any gnome users here?

Not me...

> Now that Debian has Gnome 2.4 I wanted to give it a try.  But apparently
> I've got old gnome 1.4 stuff and also older gnome 2.4 stuff laying
> around.  I tried rm -rf'ing my ~/.gnome* directories.  But when I startx
> and launch gnome, it still remembers some of my old settings.  I'd like
> to start fresh and see what the default is and tweak from there.  Any
> clues on how to do that?

If it's per-user settings, it pretty much has to be in a file in $HOME,
/tmp or /var/tmp.  Here's a way to find every file that's accessed
during your login process.  From that, you should be able to guess
which are gnome-related.

    1. Log out.  Let the machine sit idle at the xdm/gdm login prompt
       for at least five minutes.

    2. Log in.

    3. Open a shell window and type
        find ~ /tmp /var/tmp -type f -amin 5

That will list all files accessed in the last ten minutes.

If it's systemwide settings you're looking for, you could do the same
thing, but start from / and use a longer timeout so find can finish.
20 minutes should be plenty.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]