Have you looked at thunderbird?

What about unison do you think is "not quite there"?

Have you tried halime? (newsreader)

Do you have xfree86/x11 installed? If so, have you tried pan?

Exactly what features do you need in a mail client? (pop, imap, exchange, etc., etc.)

What version of os x?

Have you tried safari and apple mail?

What mail clients have you tried? What features of those did you like?

Chris