Quoth Bob Miller, on Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:30:27 -0700:

> LAN backup is very slow.  If you are planning to keep more than 100
> MB, get the disk out of the laptop, get the 2" to 3" IDE adaptor, get
> it into a desktop, and copy data disk-to-disk.  You've got a limited
> number of hours of runtime on your drive.

Thanks for everyone's input.  This is coming clear.  By "disk-to-disk"
are you thinking the dd command?  I want to try a proven solution,
rather than some newfangled thing, and the IDE adaptor and dd idea seems
to be the best plan.

> Most drive failures are heat-related.  Getting the drive out of the

This fits the symptoms.  Yesterday I couldn't use this machine at all.
Today, I can't make it break!  The difference is, it's a cooler day
today, and we're running a floor fan in this room.

So yesterday, I was planning to reinstall everything, but now it looks
like I ought to go ahead and attempt the clone.  In any case, I have a
new drive ordered, maybe it'll be here this week.  But it's 40 gig's,
not 30 like my old one.  Will dd still work with disparate drives?

And if so, does anyone have a pair of dd commands on hand for this?

Thanks,

--Jason Van Cleve