larry price wrote:

> Oracle just purchased InnoBase which is the company from which MySqlAB
> is licensing the code for transactions, triggers and other features of
> a full RDBMS solution.

I fail to see the problem.  MySQL, including InnoDB, is GPL-2.
Therefore, the current release is free and will remain free (as in
speech).  Furthermore, anybody who wants to is welcome to develop new
versions.  Somebody will want to.  Somebody always wants to.  MySQL
development may hiccough for a few months, but it certainly won't
stop.

Oracle has been making "we love Linux" noise for at least a couple of
years.  I have to think their management is smart enough not to pull a
SCO and destroy all the goodwill they've been building.  But even if
Larry is as stupid as Darl, it doesn't matter.  The code is already
GPL.

Oracle's purchase does bode ill for MySQL AB, the company, and for
customers building proprietary apps onto MySQL.  Oracle could also do
itself some significant damage.  But the rest of us will be fine.

GPL-3 does not appear to be a shitstorm to me.  It looks like a fairly
sensible response to the trend of keeping apps on one's own server
farm.  Some apps will become free (as in speech) when free subsystems
adopt GPL-3.  Others will switch to proprietary alternatives, which
will make vendors, including Oracle, happy.

Be happy.  Don't worry.

                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]