Yes, all those package managers you mention are front ends for apt, which is itself a front end for dpkg. They can be used interchangeably, just not at the same time (since apt only likes to have one process going at once).

Ubuntu has a very active, helpful, large community of users and its forums contain how-tos for everything under the (fluorescent lamp). Including Wine/Cedega for games. What games are you looking to play? Lots of them work fine, some of them work with hacks, some don't work at all. Some games are even available in native Linux binaries, depending on the genres you like (Enemy Territory, UT all flavors, Doom 3 come to mind)

-Max

Rob Hudson wrote:
I give Ubuntu a +1 also.

I haven't used it enough to know... can you use apt-get and (synaptic or kynaptic or kpackage) interchangeably?

-Rob

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Ubuntu++

The only Linux distribution I can stand. And yes, Fedora Core and Ubuntu
look a lot similar, but in my opinion that's where the similarities stop.
Ubuntu is actually usable as a desktop system.

/jgw

Lord Ogier de Corbeil wrote:

What I want is a good solid GUI - desktop environment that I can count
on.

I have Ubuntu running on two laptops.  I am impressed by it.  I don't
know how it does with Windows games, though.

Reasons Ubuntu impresses me:

    hardware support out of the box
    very little cmd line configuration needed
    good security update mechanism
    good documentation
    focus on usability

I'm actually using Kubuntu, which is Ubuntu + KDE.  Kubuntu is not as
polished as Ubuntu.

                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best regards,
Max Lemieux