Opinions sought:

I have a friend with a Dell laptop that's old enough to be out of
warranty, but not too old to be useful.
The 20G hard drive in it failed, so I replaced it for him with a 60G
drive a few months ago.
Now that has failed as well, and even if I mount it in a USB enclosure,
it still fails. So the questions are;
Is this a pair of bad drives, or one bad controller? RMA the drive? Can
the controller be replaced, and if so
is it worth it? Should I just tell him to buy a Mac (because he's
thinking of going back to Windows)? In this instance, data recovery
would be nice, but it's not a huge concern.

                                                 Confused in Cottage
Grove